[lbo-talk] abortion poll

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 9 17:01:54 PST 2007

joanna wrote:
>> If Doug meant that using the phrase "for the hell of it" as a
>> pro-choice slogan makes him uncomfortable I have no issue with that.
>> Tactically that slogan would be a huge error. If Doug had meant he was
>> personally made uncomfortable by the idea of abortion for the hell of
>> it that is another thing entirely. I see that Doug has clarified his
>> position to mean he opposes the phrase as a slogan of some sort. I
>> don't however know if the idea makes him uncomfortable or not. I can
>> think of no good reason it should.
>>

> OK. What about a woman who is eight months pregnant and she starts
> hearing voices, perhaps God's, telling her to have an abortion.
>
> ??
>
> Joanna
Unquestionably she gets to have an abortion. While I have serious doubts there is an omnipotent being who has requested she have this done no harm is done to anyone if she does this. That makes it none of my business. We have to define human life as beginning somewhere. Obviously it does not begin the moment of conception. A human life is one that is living physically separate from another. Extreme cases make bad laws as they say so one discounts conjoined persons sometimes, but not always. I could add more to it but won't here. I have a very old fashioned view of what constitutes a person. I know Carrol has stated that the fetus should be considered no more than a growth like a polyp or some such analogy. I have a similar viewpoint only probably both more so and less so.

John Thornton -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20070309/3031efc2/attachment.htm>