[lbo-talk] abortion poll

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 9 17:48:41 PST 2007

Dennis Claxton wrote:
> John wrote:
>> see that Doug has clarified his

>>> OK. What about a woman who is eight months pregnant and she starts
>>> hearing voices, perhaps God's, telling her to have an abortion.??
>>>
>>> Joanna
>>>
>> Unquestionably she gets to have an abortion.
>>

> I think you're changing the subject. You said you can think of no
> good reason the idea of abortion for the hell of it should make
> someone uncomfortable. Joanna responded by providing an, admittedly
> extreme, example of a complicated scenario that could give one pause.
>
> I agree with free abortion on demand, but I wouldn't want a provider
> to do things "unquestionably."

I'm not changing the subject. I can think of no good reason why anyone should object to someones desire to have an abortion. If however for some extremely strange reason providing the abortion would kill this woman then obviously no doctor should be REQUIRED to perform the procedure. Unquestionably she gets to have the abortion means unquestionably she has the right to have it bar some medical oddity that prevents her desire from being able to be fulfilled. The decision should never be based on whether the womans desire is legitimate by some standard. I have no problem with a woman deciding to have an abortion because she believes her deity commanded it. People do nuttier things than have an abortion based on the same belief and society generally doesn't try to stop them does it? As long as it harms no one else.

John Thornton