[lbo-talk] Output Falling in Oil-Rich Mexico, and Politics Gets the Blame

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Mar 10 09:55:27 PST 2007

On Mar 10, 2007, at 12:17 PM, Keith Nybakke wrote:

> If new, easily accessible sources of crude are not exploited very
> quickly the declines in Mexican, North Sea and even Saudi oil fields
> will easily out weigh any additional oil coming from Canadian tar
> sands or Arctic fields uncovered by retreating polar ice.

Don't forget that Iraq isn't producing much, and hasn't been seriously explored in ages. But the potential oil in Canadian tar sands is huge. With oil around $60 a barrel, all sorts of appalingly destructive schemes would make sense.

I think it's wrong politically to emphasize peak oil. People will do all sorts of desperate things if they think something's running out. The emphasis should be on how damaging it is to keep on the way we're going.

Doug