[lbo-talk] tech advice, eX propeller beanie alert

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Sun Mar 11 22:41:37 PDT 2007

Chuck Grimes wrote:
> Tech advice, from any who are interested.
>
> Building a new computer. So here's the selected hardware. If you find
> anything wrong or incompatible please speak up.
>
> 1. Motherboard: Intel DGF965WH

You mean the DG965WH? That'll do, but I'd recommend an ASUS board like the P5B-E.

> 2. Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe

Yes, Intel finally got it right: the core 2 duos kick the Pentium 4's (and AMD's) ass, with lower power consumption to boot.

> 3. Memory: Kingston 2G 800Mhz kit of 2, 1G ea.
>
> 4. Hardrive: Seagate 400GB 16Mg cache
>
> 5. Optical Drive: BenQ 1650 or
>
> Plextor PX-755SA (undecided)

Whatever; you could just get a Lite-on for $25 and be a happy camper.

> 6. Case: Antec P150, ATX
>

> OS software: Freebsd 6.1 Release configured under i386 version.

Brilliant! One more suggestion: splurge and buy a video card. Even a Geforce 6200 for $40 will be faster and more stable than the onboard video they slap on motherboards. Happy building!

Miles