[lbo-talk] tech advice, eX propeller beanie alert

Goodwin Ginger goodwinginger at yahoo.ca
Sun Mar 11 23:10:05 PDT 2007

Pick your OS and work backwards. Given graphics is not a big deal for you I would check into an Intel mainboard with onboard graphics processor such as the: Asus P5B-VM Socket 775 Intel G965 + ICH8 Chipset.

The onboard graphics is quite good for all but the big games which you will not be playing on BSD anyway. Moreover, it is relatively cheap (115$ US) and has lots of features including a PCI-E X16, SATAII, RAID, FIRWIRE. Given the PCI-E X16 you can always go hog wild on linux compatible card later if you want. Also it is a Micro-ATX form factor so the money you save on the graphics card and mobo can be put into a pleasing small form factor case. Also if you really want to exploit the SATA II capabilities of your hard drive along with RAID, I would suggest two smaller HDs instead of one large one.

Like I said though I would first check for any known issues with FREEBSD or linux in general.

What is the main use of this computer going to be?

Travis