[lbo-talk] Anand to officially become number one chess player in April

Sujeet Bhatt sujeet.bhatt at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 14:03:21 PDT 2007

http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?NewsID=1084372

Daily News & Analysis

Anand to officially become number one in April PTI Monday, March 12, 2007 19:35 IST

NEW DELHI: Viswanathan Anand, who upstaged Veselin Topalov of Bulgaria from the world number one position following his title win at the Morelia-Linares tournament, will be for the first time crowned as top-ranked player in April.

Anand will gain eight rating points to be ELO 2786 when the International Chess Federation's (FIDE) rankings list will be officially updated next month.

Topalov, just four points ahead of Anand in the January list in which he is ELO 2783, is set to lose 18 ELO points.

"It really feels good because it came unexpectedly. I thought will win the tournament but the number one ranking came as a pleasant surprise," Anand said.

Anand had lost his precious ELO points in Olympiad last year to move out of the 2800 club within months of entering into it following his Corun win for a record fifth time.

-- My humanity is in feeling we are all voices of the same poverty. - Jorge Louis Borges