[lbo-talk] Russia steps up pressure on Iran

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Tue Mar 13 16:31:25 PDT 2007

The Hindu http://www.thehindu.com/

Wednesday, Mar 14, 2007

International

Russia steps up pressure on Iran http://www.hindu.com/2007/03/14/stories/2007031405401600.htm

Vladimir Radyuhin

MOSCOW: Russia has stepped up pressure on Iran to comply with U.N. Security Council demands to suspend uranium enrichment.

An "informed" Kremlin source accused Tehran of "abusing" Russia's diplomatic support and trying to use Moscow for its "anti-American games".

"Unfortunately, the Iranians are abusing our constructive relations and have done nothing to convince our colleagues of the consistency of Tehran's policies," the source told Russian wire services.

"We absolutely do not need Iran getting a nuclear bomb or the potential to make one," the source was quoted as saying. "We will not play any kind of anti-American games with them."

Analysts said the statement was a warning to Tehran not to break relations with the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA). "If they do not respond to the questions of the IAEA, let them bear responsibility for their action."

The Kremlin warning came as Moscow announced delays in the Russian-built Bushehr nuclear plant. Atomstroiexport, the state-owned contractor building Iran's first nuclear power project, said fuel deliveries would not go ahead as planned this month and the scheduled launch of the plant would be also delayed because of Tehran's failure to make regular payments.

Copyright © 2007, The Hindu.