[lbo-talk] 300: America as Sparta

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 15 09:31:45 PDT 2007

To properly understand 300's ideological pedigree, you needn't examine the Battle of Thermopylae which serves, roughly, only as source material.

You have take a peek into the mind of comic artist and writer Frank Miller, creator of the graphic novelization of the Thermopylae story upon which the new movie is based. Like millions of other savants, Miller nurtures a manichean view of modern concerns - terrorism in particular.

For example, an upcoming Miller work, "Batman: Holy Terror" was designed to be, in Miller's words, a "piece of propaganda" in which Batman "kicks Al-Qaeda's ass."

Because I'm un-fond of exploding buildings and generally getting killed while minding my own business I don't object to the idea of "kicking terrorist ass".

Trouble is, folk like Miller restrict the list of people in need of hindquarters rearrangement to those who lack aircraft carriers, laser guided bombs and all the other tools of today's top notch, high priced terrorism.

I think it's telling that Miller - who, like everyone else in the US not living in an isolation chamber, is bombarded daily with text, sounds and images intended to whip us into a fighting frenzy (or at least, the mall shopping, talk radio, blog shouting and 'support the troops' bumper sticker equivalent of such a frenzy) - felt the need to add even more propaganda seasoning to this already over-spiced soup.

In other words, I believe Miller to be a bit of a political jackass.

One final note about "300", the movie:

Thanks to some, er, Jolly Rogerish friends in Sweden, I received a private showing. Here's a brief review.

Throughout the film, King Leonidas rallies his (few, but peerless!) men to fight for "freedom" and "liberty".

Sounds good. I can handle a sword and look good in shorts. Where do I sign up?

But hold on mate, there's a problem; Leonidas is fond of making the rules up as he goes along to suit his whims at any given moment. All for the greater good, of course: Spartan "freedom" (which, must be said like so: FREEEEDOMMM!!!!! followed close on by SPARRRRTAAAA!!!!!!).

The Spartans are free indeed...to follow orders.

Which, I suppose, is more or less historically accurate but, as others have pointed out, the movie is being presented (by Miller, the film maker and the studio) as a recreation of the stirring moment our beloved West, in its cute but resolute diaper stage, fought for liberty against tyranny. Strange notion of liberty when you've still got a loud mouthed king (SPARRRTAAA!!!!) breathing down your neck.

Hilariously, the enemy of freedom is a bizarre and innumerable hoard of jewel encrusted, early incarnation techno ravers, bondage aficionados, cross dressers and men a little too close to their (apparently genetically modified) elephants.

In short, the movie doesn't depict a struggle of 'freedom' against 'tyranny' or, at the little lower layer 'East' against 'West' but fundamentally, gym buffed normality vs. the effete other.

.d.

"You people...your hands are so greasy and slimy...I don't want to shake your hands."

Andy Kaufman

...................... http://monroelab.net/blog/