[lbo-talk] Islam and Muslims (was Doug and Islam)

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 22:16:50 PDT 2007

On 3/16/07, Carl Remick <carlremick at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >An atheist pox on all three Abrahamic houses only helps Washington,
> >for Judaism and Christianity are already inoculated against it by the
> >Higher Power in the White House.
>
> But I am not invoking an "atheist pox." I am saying that anyone who really
> believes that there is Almighty God beyond human ken cannot but find
> established religion -- with its strict, precise definitions of God --
> anything but irreligious. If you believe in God, you cannot believe in
> religion.

Today, a group called Faith Communities Uniting for Peace organized another public interfaith prayer for peace in the Middle East in Columbus, Ohio. About 200 believers who oppose the Iraq War showed up at 5:30 PM in the Statehouse atrium. It's a wonderful community of people, Jews, Muslims, Christians, Hindus, Buddhists, Sikhs, etc., who strive to live up to the moral and political obligations inspired by their ideas of gods or universes, the ideas that they and their forebears have collectively developed and transformed over time through their communities which are called religions. These are real people doing real work in the real world, with whom you can talk and work. They are more real to me than atheists' unreal individualist definitions of gods and religions. Their anti-war services, which get into the media, are no more supernatural than acts of secular leftists holding signs against the war. -- Yoshie