[lbo-talk] Zizek: "Where to look for revolutionary potential?"

Wojtek Sokolowski swsokolowski at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 18 18:35:28 PDT 2007

--- Yoshie Furuhashi <critical.montages at gmail.com> wrote:

> The question is, though, where is a revolutionary
> potential?

[WS:] You seem to take it an article of faith that there is a 'revolutionary potential.' I question that assumption - I think that revolution is pretty much a romantic myth to put window dressing on nationalist economic development projects. That was certainly true of the x-USSR and China, and is also true of today's Iran. The color of that window dressing changed from red to green - but the nationalistic nature of these projects has not.

What we will see in the foreseable future is the growth of regional nationalisms that replicate class structure of Western societies, except perhpas a larger size of the lumpenproletariat. Revolution is just empty talk, wishful thinking of blase Western intellectuals.

PS. I honestly do not give a flying fuck about Third world nationalism of any color and see no reason why I should. Can you give me such a reason?

Wojtek

____________________________________________________________________________________ Looking for earth-friendly autos? Browse Top Cars by "Green Rating" at Yahoo! Autos' Green Center. http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/