[lbo-talk] Zizek: "Where to look for revolutionary potential?"

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 18:50:38 PDT 2007

On 3/18/07, Wojtek Sokolowski <swsokolowski at yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- Yoshie Furuhashi <critical.montages at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > The question is, though, where is a revolutionary
> > potential?
>
> [WS:] You seem to take it an article of faith that
> there is a 'revolutionary potential.' I question that
> assumption - I think that revolution is pretty much a
> romantic myth to put window dressing on nationalist
> economic development projects. That was certainly
> true of the x-USSR and China, and is also true of
> today's Iran. The color of that window dressing
> changed from red to green - but the nationalistic
> nature of these projects has not.

Compare China and India, two shining stars of capitalist development in the South today: one went through social revolution, the other didn't, and the difference shows in human development, imho: <http://hdr.undp.org/hdr2006/statistics/countries/country_fact_sheets/cty_fs_CHN.html> <http://hdr.undp.org/hdr2006/statistics/countries/country_fact_sheets/cty_fs_IND.html>.

> PS. I honestly do not give a flying fuck about Third
> world nationalism of any color and see no reason why I
> should. Can you give me such a reason?

I'm far from saying that you should give a damn. As Schopenhauer said, "We want what we will, but we don't will what we want." :-> -- Yoshie