[lbo-talk] Native Americans Expel African Americans

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 20 15:15:34 PDT 2007

Ismail Lagardien wrote:
> Hi folks
>
> This is from another list - incredible. What a country!
>
> Cut Here:
> By an overwhelming vote
> the Cherokee amended their constitution that in effect nullified tribal
> citizenship for nearly 3,000 members for having ancestors that included
> people of African descent. The one-drop rule seems to have resurfaced
> with a bite.

The one drop rule? What does the most recent decision by the Cherokee Nation have to do with the one drop rule? Absolutely nothing.

If someone wishes to criticize the most recent vote concerning citizenship requirements to become a member of The Nation can they at least do 10 minutes worth of research before writing anything down or forming an opinion? While I will not defend the decision made by a minority of Cherokees, it was hardly "overwhelming" since fewer than 6400 of the over 250,000 tribal members voted for this amendment, I will criticize the decision for what it actually is rather than some fantasy of what it is put forward by the uninformed.

John Thornton