[lbo-talk] Spiegel interviews Sharpton

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 22 08:30:12 PDT 2007

Doug

Yeah, I thought Woj's reaction was weird, since he was specifically rejecting a race-based vote in favor of a policy-based one. And policy-wise, Obama's no bargain.

Precisely.

Let's revisit Sharpton's statement:

"We are no longer intoxicated by having the first black president. We had the first black secretary of state and the second black secretary of state and they brought us the most wicked war in our lifetime. So you have to be more than our color. You have to be our kind."

[...]

And once again, for emphasis:

"We had the first black secretary of state and the second black secretary of state and they brought us the most wicked war in our lifetime."

[...]

Here, Sharpton explicitly raises, as Doug says, policy-based objections to supporting Obama; objections having nothing to do with "Black populism".

Indeed, nearly everyone I know who's enthusiastic about Senator Obama ignores or is unaware of his policy shortcomings.

Yoshie writes:

You know Sharpton supports _any kind_ of candidate in the end, as long as the candidate is a Democrat, whether the candidate is white or Black, pro-war or anti-war, populist or anti-populist, a soul brother or A Brother from Another Planet.

No doubt.

.d.

"I've come to hate my own creation. Now I know how God feels."

Homer Simpson

...................... http://monroelab.net/blog/