[lbo-talk] David Ehrenstein on Obama

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 22 17:11:40 PDT 2007

Well, there is something to this. And for someone with a very liberal (and very good) track record in the Illinois legislature, Obama has indeed turned out to be predictably but disappointingly triangulatory in national politics. But it isn't a bad thing that a (moderate liberal) African-American, in his case, literally and recently African!, apparently has a real shot as a serious presidential candidate. Before Obama came along, I would have bet that the first African-American presidential candidate would be a moderate-to-conservative Republican. Anyway, it wasn't going to be Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson or JJ, Jr. Obama's candidacy is indeed based on his being maximally nice and conciliatory, a real uniter-not-a-divider, and no liberal firebrand or race leader. But isn't it a reflection of progress that he's on the map at all? And for all that he wouldn't do a hundredth of what we'd hope, would you prefer McCain or Giuliani or Romney or anyone the GOP has on the table? Or say it would make no difference? Really truly?