[lbo-talk] David Ehrenstein on Obama

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Mar 22 17:46:29 PDT 2007

andie nachgeborenen wrote:

>But isn't it a reflection of progress that
> he's on the map at all?

I guess I don't believe in progress -- which I would define as a improvement plus a rachet effect. Within a give epoch one has lurching to & fro, and possibly regress, but progress doesn't make sense.

> And for all that he wouldn't
> do a hundredth of what we'd hope, would you prefer
> McCain or Giuliani or Romney or anyone the GOP has on
> the table? Or say it would make no difference? Really
> truly?

It depends on how you view a war with Iran. Obama of all the candidates is most apt to launch such a war. I would guess the best hope for getting out of Iraq is McCain.

Carrol