[lbo-talk] elite-bashing

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Mar 23 12:39:47 PDT 2007

On Mar 23, 2007, at 10:26 AM, James Heartfield wrote:

> Doug writes:
>
>> Naomi Klein is a very smart person, but her Canadianness is showing
>> here. If only this were true...
>
> I think Canadianness grants more insight into US anti-elitism than
> you do.

How's that? Because you can take a few remarks out of context, turn them into a column, publish it in a British paper, and no one will ever know?

> There is a lot of elite-bashing out there, but it is entirely
> reconcilable
> with the persistence of elites, and it is by no means exclusively
> American.

Well yeah. Americans grumble about this & that, but it's mostly meaningless, completely lacking any political context or consequence. Naomi Klein thinks that this has something to do with undermining the saleability of the American model of political economy, but the connection eludes me.

Doug