[lbo-talk] re. subprpime suburbs

Jason lists at moduszine.com
Fri Mar 23 14:50:20 PDT 2007

Well, immiseration aside, Irish people's memory of the poverty and squalor of tenement living are relatively fresh and then there's the negative Ballymun and Fatima Mansions experiences (more complex than people often like to admit). Hence, in my opinion, high rates of ownership since then. Tenants have had the right-to-buy corporation housing (council) since the 1960s.

Anyway, so James, how about it? Ireland has enjoyed housebuilding on something like the scale that you've argued is needed in Britian. Why are prices continuing to rise here? As I said before, genuine question.

Jason.

On 2007-03-23 21:28:28 +0000 James Heartfield <Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> I should have known that the relatively high home ownership in the US
> would
> be transformed into proof of Americans' low incomes. (file under
> quaint
> beliefs of the LBOers: US immiseration)
>
> Doug writes:
>
> " it's interesting
> that the countries with the highest ownership rates are on the
> periphery, historically poorer countries like Ireland and Spain, and
> the lowest are at the core, like Germany. The state with the highest
> homeownership rate in the U.S. is West Virginia, which is our own
> internal periphery."

-- This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content by MailScanner, and is believed to be clean.