[lbo-talk] electability (was elite-bashing)

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 15:34:10 PDT 2007

On 3/23/07, Mike Ballard <swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> Tuesday, March 20 2007
> A speech given by Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz at the 2007 Bay Area Anarchist
> Bookfair, held this past weekend in San Francisco, on March 17 & 18.
>
> By ROXANNE DUNBAR-ORTIZ
<snip>
> In all the arguments about the crimes of the Judeo-Christian-Muslim
> religions, rarely is their greatest crime ever discussed--the leveling
> of class, rich and poor are the same in god's sight. What a handy
> ideology for the rich! The same with US democracy with its "equal
> opportunity" and "level playing fields," absurd claims under
> capitalism, but ones held dear but liberals.

As far as Americans are concerned, most of them don't really believe in being the same in god's sight or equal opportunity or level playing fields, despite what religion or the constitution says. Why do I know that? Because they believe in "electability." What is electability but the fact of having enough support of the ruling class and therefore having a shot at high office? The dominant ideology is deference to the Master Class. -- Yoshie