[lbo-talk] DK brouhaha

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 24 07:00:15 PDT 2007

Chris,

D'oh, the DKs early song "I Kill Children" is not an advocacy of killing little kids. It was the usual acid-tongued, satirical DK stuff Jello and crew always did, just like their song "Kill the Poor" was not about them wanting to kill poor folks (quite the opposite, it was a mockery of how the gov't acted) or when Jello sings "I am Emperor Ronald Reagan, born again with fascist cravings," he does not really mean to say that he is actually Ronald Reagan singing.

The DKs often assumed an ironic tone of this kind -- Jello speaking on behalf of this or that ruler -- to expose how absurd many current policies are when spoken in terms like this.

Anyway, let's say the Dead Kennedys REALLY dud advocate killing kids, which they never did in song or print. Now in 2007 mightn't we be on the side of perhaps more enlightened members now who would wish for one of their songs not be used in what seems like a pretty tasteless way?

Regarding "Chemical Warfare and the lyrics: "Now I got my own mustard gas in my pocket / Climb on a tree on a branch and drop it On a country club full of Saturday golfers..." Well, that's done in the same spirit as Class War's "We Have Found New Homes for the Rich" graphic, (a group whose founder Doug interviewed quite well recently), which features a picture of a raveyard. Pure class resentment, obviously directed against the hoighty-toighty countryc club set.

Don't forget I tried to send you an MDC CD at your request -- MDC = Millions of Dead Cops. Were you worried they advocated the slaguhter of millions of dead cops when I sent it? Well, maybe they do! It's part of the rage of punk rock, you know.

So, "I KIll Childen" and "Kill the Poor" are not manifestoes of how the Dead Kennedys want to themselves kill children or the poor.

Come on, dude....

-B.

Chriss Doss:

"But how is filming a rape scene more tasteless than singing about how you like to kill children and use chemical weapons on golfers?"