[lbo-talk] DK brouhaha

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 24 07:58:02 PDT 2007

Chris Doss wrote: "Im not dismissing anybody wholesale, I just think Jello is being a little hypocritical."

How? He doesnt want a song he wrote used in a blockbuster, big-budget movie during a rape scene. I sympathize with that. I might not want a song I wrote when I was 18 used in a Quentin Tarantino rape scene, either, esp. if my politics had developed somewhat in the 28 years since I wrote it.

Is he hypocritical because he claims about women? Well, is it possible he really does care? Ex-Kennedys say he should put his money where his mouth his and do free charity work for battered women (are they doing that?), but my understanding is that a lot of his work over the past 15 or so years has been giving speeches, including as a Green Party Pres. candidate, where he'ss come out in support of equalitarian policies for women in crowds of thousand. That not good enough for the ex-DKs whos ays he's a hypcorite?

I bet Ian MacKaye wouldd like Guilty of Being White used in a scene of neo-Nazis bashing black guys, either. They created the music; they should have a veto coice, at least. But since the court battles, the ex-DKs get to use songs with Jellos vocals any way they want.

Im still on Jello's side on this.

-B