[lbo-talk] Development of Political Underdevelopment (was electability)

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Mar 24 11:57:25 PDT 2007

Doug Henwood wrote:
> On Mar 23, 2007, at 10:39 PM, joanna wrote:
>

>> Maybe. A lot of it is simply lack of time.
>>
>> Work (including commute) takes 10 to 11 hours a day for most.
>>
>> Then there's kids, eating, sleeping....
>>

> I used to think that but the BLS time use survey doesn't confirm it
> at all <ftp://ftp.bls.gov/pub/news.release/atus.txt>. The average
> American has about 5 hours of leisure time a day, half of which is
> spent watching TV.
>
> Doug
I have my doubts concerning the accuracy of this survey. Usually Uncle Sam does as good a job as is possible for this type of thing but read the graph for a 24 hour weekday. .49 hours spent on "Food preparation and cleanup" but 1.2 hours eating? Since when does it take more time to eat a meal than to prepare it and cleanup?

John Thornton