[lbo-talk] 15% of the Population, 2 Hours per Weekend (was Development of Political Underdevelopment)

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 24 15:35:02 PDT 2007

>From: "Lenin's Tomb" <leninstombblog at googlemail.com>
>
>On 3/24/07, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:
>
> > So all we have to do is promise the faithful eternal happiness in
> > Heaven, with the threat of endless torment in hell!
>
>I don't think this is Yoshie's point, but there is another way to go
>about it, which is to terminate this ressentiment toward religion, and
>try to engage with the religious rather than writing them off.

Nifty idea if not for the inherently (often murderously) quarrelsome nature of religion itself, with different factions of the faithful constantly writing each other off. E.g., consider how the worldwide Anglican Communion is tearing itself apart in an insane argument over homosexuality. The Episcopal Church USA is on the verge of being purged from the global organization because the US Episcopalians elected a gay bishop, an anathema to Anglican bishops in Africa, Asia and other recently colonial areas. I believe African and Asian bishops also disagree with the prominence of women in the US church and, as I recall, with the US church's stance against capital punishment. Whenever secular progressives strike alliances with publicly professed people of faith they risk getting dragged into some pretty screwy quarrels.

BTW, congrats on your blog, consistently one of the most interesting on the web.

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ i'm making a difference. Make every IM count for the cause of your choice. Join Now. http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwme0080000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?source=hmtagline