[lbo-talk] 15% of the Population, 2 Hours per Weekend (was Development of Political Underdevelopment)

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Sat Mar 24 20:40:19 PDT 2007

Michael Perelman wrote:
> I don't think that people are lazy about volunteering, but that the left has not
> given people a compelling reason -- showing how their effort will lead to concrete
> results.

Right. We need to deliver on our promises, even if they are small intermediate steps. People want to see something happening, which is one reason why they've deserted the anti-war movement. You need to give people victories, even if they are small ones.

I disagree with Carrol's pessimism, because I think the left has accomplished quite a bit in recent years. We just don't do a very good job of recognizing our successes and explaining them to people in our movements. It's muc easier to hate ourselves and preach to each other that we are powerless.

Chuck