[lbo-talk] Time Use studies

Tayssir John Gabbour tayssir.john at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 25 10:20:30 PDT 2007

On 3/25/07, Andy F <andy274 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/24/07, Tayssir John Gabbour <tayssir.john at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > Incidentally, working class people might find Jeff Schmidt's
> > _Disciplined Minds_ useful and entertaining, to get a feel for the
> > forces and constraints shapes this class...
> > <http://disciplined-minds.com/>
>
> I read this back when I was getting back into working in science and
> contemplating grad school, and found it really disappointing. I
> wanted to wait a bit before passing any final judgement, but all he
> seemed to show was that professionals, at least low-level ones, have
> to deal with asshole bosses like everybody else -- not exactly his
> thesis.
>
> I'm curious what you or others saw in this.

While my memory is rather hazy (I only listened to the podcasts), I remember getting more out of it than that. Helped explain the odd ideologies coming from professionals I discussed with, and why things like managerial praise always felt kinda odd.

When I listened to it with a friend, she also found it explained a number of observations she had. She was working-class, and helped her feel she wasn't the only one struck by some of the bizarreness coming from the professional/managerial class.

But it may be the case you found the points more obvious, because you were already more conversant with such ideas? Kind of like a math intro would be obvious to someone who already did much math?

Tayssir