[lbo-talk] Time Use studies

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Sun Mar 25 11:32:58 PDT 2007

Andy F wrote:

>I read this back when I was getting back into working in science and
>contemplating grad school, and found it really disappointing. I
>wanted to wait a bit before passing any final judgement, but all he
>seemed to show was that professionals, at least low-level ones, have
>to deal with asshole bosses like everybody else -- not exactly his
>thesis.

I'm in the middle of reading it. What is overwhelmingly underimpressive is the quality of the writing. It's just not very good.

But, so far he has made the point that most of science in this country is financed by business or by govt -- for profit or war -- and that this distorts what this science is, what it can be, it's benefit to society, and the sorts of people that it attracts.

He has also accounted for my experience of grad school which is that most of the truly great people who go there are crushed or winnowed out.

But the most interesting thing he has said so far is that due to the training that makes one "professional," the professional class is much less likely to be creative or to think independently than those who have not benefitted from this training.

Joanna