[lbo-talk] Time Use studies

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 26 19:42:55 PDT 2007

No, a real crasher is like the guy who notoriously got a job here in Shytown maybe 12-15 years ago as an associate at a big law firm, did fine, no one questioned his competence, then it somehow emerged that he had never graduated law school or passed the bar. He was Not A Lawyer. Obviously he was fired and will never BE a lawyer.

This incident was partly memorialized in Scott Turow's Personal Injuries, facts changed for reasons of the story, which was blended with a fictionalized account of Operation Greylord, the feds' early 80s attack on crooked judges in the Cook County Circuit Court, a prosecution in which Turow played an important supporting role as an ASUA.

Simply being the "wrong kind of person" to get into a "good law school" or a big firm of whatever is not crashing if you do finish law school and pass the bar. Then you are a lawyer and legally entitled to victimize the weak and helpless, oops, I didn't say that. But as a prof at 4th tier law school I am concerned to get the Wrong Kind of Students (who graduate law school and pass the bar) into those sorts of places.

Btw, I don't believe that giving right wing answers helps a bit. Associates and many partners at big firms, especially in Chicago, are more likely than not to be liberal Democrats. One May First some years go while working at Jones Day, I was riding the elevator up with a partner, and I said to her, Happy Law Day. Or, if you prefer, Happy May Day. I prefer May Day, she said.

And law professors DEFINITELY tend to be liberal to mildly leftish (not hard left, so I have to be well behaved -- I'm too left, or if I'm not I don't want to find out) as a group, unless you area applying to George Mason (yikes) Ave Maria or Regent's School of Law. Even at U of C law profs are reasonably likely to be liberals, and the conservatives are are too smart to be buffaloed by ideological smoke. I send Ian's post on a Marxist analysis of law firm life to a well known right wing instructor at U of C LS with whom I am friendly, and he said it was "spot on," totally persuasive.

I didn't see conservative bias in the LSATs, but it has been some time since I took them.