[lbo-talk] Time Use studies

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Sun Mar 25 12:19:36 PDT 2007

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> I fully agree with Doug, managers and professional
> workers work much harder and longer hours than wage
> workers. The difference lies maninly in the symbolic
> status recognition that the former receive.
>
> Wojtek

Another example of this: the job description for the Dean position I'm temporarily occupying includes "other duties as assigned". As you might expect, this extraordinarily broad job description is not found in the faculty or staff union contracts. Woj is right here: this is about symbolic status recognition, not autonomy at work.

Miles