[lbo-talk] Time Use studies

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 25 11:23:34 PDT 2007

> [WS:] I categorically disagree. The managerial class
> my have an illusion of control by the absence of such
> obvious external control mechanisms like punch-cards
> or rigid time schedules, but they are under intense
> pressure to work overtime. If they refuse, their
> career is over.
>
> Nobody epects a janitor or a secretary to stay past
> 5PM,let alone work at home, but it is expected that
> profesional or managerial workers will stay as long as
> needed. This system works to the benefit of wage
> workers, actually, who can simpl pack and leave,and
> file a grievance if theier bosses retaliate.
> managerial workers have no such protections - an dthis
> why a common union busting strategy in this country is
> define positons as "managerial."
>
> I fully agree with Doug, managers and professional
> workers work much harder and longer hours than wage
> workers. The difference lies maninly in the symbolic
> status recognition that the former receive.
>
> Wojtek

Aren't wage workers working more mandatory overtime than ever before? I'm pretty sure I've read this but I'm too lazy to try to find a citation. If you believe the majority of wage workers can simply leave at 5 PM and file a grievance if their boss retaliates then you are uninformed. Employment is at-will in most of the US and if you refuse to work mandatory overtime it is grounds for dismissal. I know many people fired for doing exactly that. There was no procedure for filing a grievance in such instances. When the boss tells the wage workers they need to work 9 hours a day instead of 8 for whatever reason it is an order, not a request.

John Thornton