[lbo-talk] Time Use studies

Andy F andy274 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 03:29:08 PDT 2007

On 3/25/07, Tayssir John Gabbour <tayssir.john at googlemail.com> wrote:

> In that light, I personally found the audio version a good listen.
> Some of the examples were pretty interesting to me, especially the fun
> part about chameleons. He claims that a number of these pretenders
> were outed not because of poor results (allegedly they were
> well-regarded by peers and clients in terms of job competence), but
> rather because lacking certain "professional" attitudes was a dead
> giveaway...

All I remember along these lines was how certain people got dropped from PhD programs after the qualifying exams for lacking the right attitude, but as I recall he didn't really give any actual examples of people, anonymous or otherwise. Considering his choice of examples to illustrate other points, I find that kind of ominous for the picture he tries to paint. Do you remember any others?

> All right, the corporation doesn't just own her output but hours of
> her life too. But if coworkers goofed off as much as her, hanging by
> the water fountain or watching Youtube, and that's accepted... then
> doesn't her firing kind of illustrate the point?

I don't mean to suggest that it's right and proper that he got fired , but boasting about writing a book on company time undermines his claim that it was retaliation for some sort of ideological whistleblowing. Besides, writing a book requires more time than watching the odd Youtube clip. I only know his side of the story, too, so when he *still* comes across as flaky, well...

-- Andy