[lbo-talk] Time Use studies

Jim Straub rustbeltjacobin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 05:48:46 PDT 2007

Of all the crimes I hope one day to commit, "Practicing Law Without A License" sounds perhaps the most fun and jovial. A real Falstaff's con. I mean, pretending to be a doctor or a nurse, that's no fun, you just wind up harming random people physically. But procuring a nice suit, adopting the pretensions of professional speech and manner, employing wikipedia and half-remembered old episodes of Night Court to get one through faking a couple months worth of motions filed and briefs cribbed, before arousing more and more suspicions and eventually having to excuse oneself from the legal profession out your firms bathroom window one day when you overhear the partners calling the law school you listed yourself summa cum laude just to check up on that strange new fellow... oh to have never gotten into politics, and just become a con artist...

In the O Where Art Though Brother movie, the great understated punchline of the movie in the end is that the george clooney character was convicted, not of the serious crimes he claimed, but rather of practicing law without a license. Just cast such an awesome low-grade sleazy shadow over him in all his mustachioed dapper dan glory.

It's funny because, I've lately been considering trying to get a free ride at a college somewhere, and find myself wanting to study something thats potentially socially useful that I couldn't learn on my own. My brain is definitely too feeble for the straight-up hard sciences, but a degree in history or literature seems like nothing I couldn't learn without a library card and more free time. So the field of study I am interested in is economics. Maybe Doug could tell us what its like to be an official student of the dismal science.