[lbo-talk] Time Use studies

Tayssir John Gabbour tayssir.john at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 27 06:21:37 PDT 2007

On 3/27/07, Jim Straub <rustbeltjacobin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Of all the crimes I hope one day to commit, "Practicing Law Without A
> License" sounds perhaps the most fun and jovial. A real Falstaff's con. I
> mean, pretending to be a doctor or a nurse, that's no fun, you just wind up
> harming random people physically. But procuring a nice suit, adopting the
> pretensions of professional speech and manner, employing wikipedia and
> half-remembered old episodes of Night Court to get one through faking a
> couple months worth of motions filed and briefs cribbed, before arousing
> more and more suspicions and eventually having to excuse oneself from the
> legal profession out your firms bathroom window one day when you overhear
> the partners calling the law school you listed yourself summa cum laude just
> to check up on that strange new fellow... oh to have never gotten into
> politics, and just become a con artist...

The trick the book mentions is to use the identity/credentials of a real person who practices in another city. The ex-con fellow also used artifacts like (as I recall) a keychain with frat letters on it, etc.

Some in the computer security world do a lot with "social engineering." I'm sure a search would turn up much. Some people go around intentionally hacking people, instead of computers.

If that sounds weird, many managers and PR people do that all the time... They don't want slaves, they want robots. Your emotions and dreams are buttons.

The second season of "Patrolling with Sean Kennedy," on google video, is a hilarious, brilliant look on how normal people can just fade into the corporate urban jungle. Not in some amoral/evil way, but so some places won't hold your nonconformism against you.

During the earlier tech boom, I knew someone who got his girlfriend a job at some company like Oracle. She had no idea about this tech stuff, but he was there at the interview with her, and said something like "Follow my lead, just play along," and she was hired.

Personally, I just sit at the keyboard and type what a programmer would type... ;)

Tayssir