[lbo-talk] Time Use studies

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at aapt.net.au
Tue Mar 27 07:00:54 PDT 2007

You seem to be presuming that the unlicensed lawyer would lose, but don't you think someone who was practicing law without a license to the extent of actually arguing a case in a law court would be inclined to be a tad careful than that?

Careful to figure out the legal situation particular to such a case, careful about which case to take on in the first place. And of course careful not to give the game away by being too clever by half.

I'm reminded of a friend I had way back in my teens. He started driving on public roads when he was about 14, purchased his first car just after his 15th birthday. A big old Ford Customline V8, beautiful thing in its own way. Of course he wasn't eligible for a drivers licence (min. eligibility 17 years of age) or even a learners licence. But he drove that big old petrol guzzler everywhere for years without ever being stopped by police. He was a careful driver, the very model road user. Courteous, law abiding etc, never had any kind of accident.

Until just after he turned 17 and obtained his licence. Needless to say, the beautiful old veteran Customline was written off quite soon after that anniversary. He no longer felt the need to be so careful after that you see. Experience and skill wasn't the issue, experience and skill isn't everything. Motivation counts for a lot more sometimes.

Just as you were a lot safer as a passenger in that Customline before my young mate got his license, I strongly suspect you would be much safer travelling with the unlicensed lawyer than you would be with the average genuine article. (Present company excepted of course.)

More so, given that a licensed lawyer usually walks away from a horrendous legal crash that wipes out his client without a scratch.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas