[lbo-talk] Class, Community, and Protest in Paris from 1848 to the Commune

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Tue Mar 27 14:06:05 PDT 2007

Yoshie wrote; Even those who organized the Paris Commune, what Marx thought of as the first dictatorship of the proletariat at work, thought of themselves quite differently than many Marxists imagined them to be. Contradiction between objective and subjective -- who we are and what we think of ourselves -- is a permanent feature of lives under capitalism, though contradiction is more visible than ever today. *************************

Agreed. Most workers today in the industrially developed States don't think of themselves as being part of a class, unless they're self-defining as "middle class". They are mired in all kinds of individualistic identities and social-ideologically defined groupings e.g. race, religious faiths, nationalsims, region (I'm a Southerner) and so on. To the degree that they start acting as a class for themselves, they begin to achieve the power that they lack as narrow individualists within their segregated, ideological ghettos and to that degree, they become class conscious and a threat to the rule of Capital.

Best, Mike B)

Wage-slave's Escape http://happystiletto.blogspot.com/

____________________________________________________________________________________ Sucker-punch spam with award-winning protection. Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta. http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/mailbeta/features_spam.html