[lbo-talk] Arundhati Roy: an activist returns to the novel

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Tue Mar 27 17:10:08 PDT 2007

James Heartfield wrote:

>I remember having my doubts about the Narmada Dam campaign that Roy got
>involved in - though I don't guess that many on this list would have shared
>them.
>
>There seemed to me to be some evidence that the anti-Dam campaigners were
>being sponsored by western environmental groups. Also, I was not sure why
>the World Bank (which pulled out of the project) should value their rights
>over those of the Indian state to generate electricity.

Perhaps because of this....

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/China/IC24Ad01.html

"Water in the Indus River is so clouded that the native dolphin has in effect lost its eyesight and has to detect prey and other objects through sound waves.

More than half of all the industrial waste and sewage in China flows into a single waterway, the Yangtze. And tributaries of the Ganges, one of Asia's greatest cultural and religious treasures, are running dry because of the crippling burden of irrigation."

[snip]