[lbo-talk] TX citizens can now legally to shoot-to-kill someone "unlawfully trying to enter a protected place"

drogers debburz at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 28 07:05:22 PDT 2007

> The new law, which takes affect on September 1,
> extends an exception to a statute that required a
> person to retreat in the face of a criminal attack.
> The exception was in the case of an intruder
> unlawfully entering a person's home.
>
> The law extends a person's right to stand their ground
> beyond the home to vehicles and workplaces, allowing
> the reasonable use of deadly force, the governor's
> office said.

The oft-quoted "unspoken" rule down here was, if you shoot someone attempting to threaten you or forceably enter your home while they were still physically outside your home, drag the body inside the doorframe or whatever and you'll escape indictment or arrest. At least, that was the policy of most Texas district attorneys and juries.

Guess we don't have to drag the bodies inside now. Yi ha!

- Deborah