[lbo-talk] [Fwd: Re: [Marxism] Arundhati Roy: An Activist ReturnsTo The Novel]

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 28 11:10:52 PDT 2007

Carrol:

I've seen a lot of attention paid to what an obnoxious person Roy is, but I haven't seen any serious attempt to refute her arguments.

Yes.

And I note that every time Roy's name comes up there's an awful lot of heavy breathing about the weakness of her political ideas, the questionable quality of her fiction, the regrettable fact she's popular in the West and her general badness.

Every time.

Search the archives for "Arundhati Roy"; the results are illuminating.

It's very strange and off-putting, regardless of what you think about Roy as an artist and activist.

Rarely does anyone write something along the lines of "I disagree with Roy on the following points..." and calmly proceed to make their counter case without venom. There's always a tremendous amount of anger, as if she's a villain responsible for mass death and chaos.

Really, at this point I'm much more interested in the anti-Roy phenomena than I am about the supposed shortcomings of her work.

.d.