[lbo-talk] How to explain things to (right-wing) libertarians

John Costello joxn.costello at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 12:09:43 PDT 2007

On 3/29/07, andie nachgeborenen <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com> wrote:

> This is rubbish. Libs are not the KKK and they are not
> "piles of poop." They are often _on our side._ They
> are anti-fascist, antimilitarist,
> anti-interventionist, pro-abortion rights. They are
> often cranky (unlike leftists!) and sometimes
> dogmatic. Often they are very smart. In my view they
> are right about many things. They have produced a
> really impressive body of philosophical and economic
> scholarship. I'd way rather talk to a lib than to a
> mainstream Bushie con or a sectarian leftie. You don't
> expect to convert them, but you might learn something
> and maybe cooperate.

I have to say that in my experience, libertarians are "on our side" until they have to vote. And then they vote Republican, because anti-facist, anti-militarist, anti-interventionist, and pro-choice sentiments always, always lose to the promise of lower taxes and less government.

Maybe I know the wrong libertarians, but of the tens I know only one has ever bucked the trend the other way.

-- "It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others." -- John Andrew Holmes