[lbo-talk] How to explain things to (right-wing) libertarians

Tayssir John Gabbour tayssir.john at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 30 09:17:27 PDT 2007

On 3/29/07, John Costello <joxn.costello at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have to say that in my experience, libertarians are "on our side"
> until they have to vote. And then they vote Republican, because
> anti-facist, anti-militarist, anti-interventionist, and pro-choice
> sentiments always, always lose to the promise of lower taxes and less
> government.
>
> Maybe I know the wrong libertarians, but of the tens I know only one
> has ever bucked the trend the other way.

Reminds me of papers like "Does Studying Economics Inhibit Cooperation?" where people who study mainstream econ are observed to start acting more like self-interested "homo economicus." After all, right-wing libertarians align themselves with a pure form of capitalism. <http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/economics_frank/frank.html>

I asked a well-known science prof why right-wing libertarians are unusually represented in the tech world. He opined that many bright, upwardly mobile students didn't see why they should care about others.

They certainly have their good points. They tend to argue on a more rational basis than many others. On the downside, they're axiomatic rather than empirical thinkers. They seem to take much of mainstream neoclassical econ as almost axiomatically true, alone among social sciences.

This axiomatic thinking seems to make them a little loose with the truth. Even a left-wing anarchist will admit that the state drove stuff like fundamental innovations. But libertarians typically claim entrepreneurship did.

But hey, many of them certainly like hearing about anti-state lit, like Tilly's "War Making and State Making as Organized Crime." <https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/rohloff/www/war%20making%20and%20state%20making.pdf>

Tayssir

-- When dealing with political problems, some instinctively reach for more democracy; others for more capitalism...