[lbo-talk] Brits' shit fit over seized sailors misfires

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 30 11:40:10 PDT 2007

[I'm amused to see that the UK's sanctimonious outrage over Iran's seizure of British naval personnel who allegedly trespassed on Iranian waters has stiffened Tehran's determination to delay release of these personnel. I agree with Iranians' contention that their videotapes of these prisoners tend to affirm Iran's contention that the prisoners are being treated in a civilized way -- in contrast, say, to the way the UK's staunch American allies are treating Gitmo prisoners. And I'm quite sure the UK Foreign Office issued no statements of haughty outrage about the manifestly forced confessions of US prisoner Khalid Sheikh Mohammed. You'd think after several hundred years of strutting around the world making imperial pests of themselves, the Brits would, in their own interests, get a clue and stop antagonizing the locals wherever they go.]

Sharp words from UK have hardened Tehran's resolve By Angus McDowall in Tehran Published: 30 March 2007

When Iran's top security official, Ali Larijani, revoked an offer to release Faye Turney while accusing Britain of escalating the crisis, he was living up to his reputation as his country's tough-as-nails nuclear negotiator.

His comments also showed how sharp words uttered in Britain have upped the ante in this crisis while allowing a unity of purpose to grow among Iranian leaders.

"They have created a lot of noise over diplomatic ties and raised the issue with the UN," Mr Larijani said. "This will not help solve the issue. British leaders are miscalculating the case."

Analysts in Tehran believe the vocal pressure coming from Britain - including fierce criticism in the press - has made it harder for Iranian leaders to back down without appearing to give in to the West. Some reports from insiders suggest the Iranians were preparing to ease tensions on Wednesday, but changed their minds after the tough comments from Tony Blair and Margaret Beckett and the British threat to raise the matter at the UN Security Council. ...

Although the footage of the captive Britons has provoked outrage in the UK, many Iranians saw it as proof they were being well looked after. Azadeh, 20, a student, said: "The British woman said they were in Iranian waters and they were all eating food and talking together. Why shouldn't I believe they were well treated?" ...

<http://news.independent.co.uk/world/middle_east/article2405137.ece>

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ Get a FREE Web site, company branded e-mail and more from Microsoft Office Live! http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/mcrssaub0050001411mrt/direct/01/