[lbo-talk] Brits' shit fit over seized sailors misfires

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 14:34:03 PDT 2007

On 3/30/07, Dennis Claxton <ddclaxton at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Yoshie wrote:
> >One odd thing is that RIA Novosti has two separate dossiers on the
> >same subject -- "Possible U.S. strike on Iran" at
> ><<http://en.rian.ru/trend/strike/>http://en.rian.ru/trend/strike/>
> >and "Rumeurs d'attaque contre l'Iran" at
> ><<http://fr.rian.ru/trend/attaque_Iran/>http://fr.rian.ru/trend/attaque_Iran/>
> >-- in its English and French
> >sections, and their contents are not the same. The most alarming
> >items appear only in French. Are the Russians thinking that the
> >Iranians are better at reading French than English?
>
> Or they hadn't got around to translating everything when you looked
> at it. The English version I just looked at says (Adds paragraphs 8-15)

No, RIA Novosti still hasn't translated the 19 March 2007 article "L'Iran serait attaqué début avril (experts militaires russes)" (at <http://fr.rian.ru/world/20070319/62260006.html> -- the third article that I included in my first posting in this thread), which says that the plan reached the point of no return on 20 February 2007 and (improbably in my view but possibly alarming Tehran) even suggests the date (Friday, 6 April) and duration (12 hours) of the strike, referencing a Russian weekly. Notice that this particular news -- generally unreported in the US media but cited in the Chinese*, Turkish, Venezuelan, and other media -- came out before Iran's arrest of the British sailors on 23 March.

* <http://english.people.com.cn/200703/26/eng20070326_361016.html> Venezuela president calls on international community to respect Iran

The international community should respect Iran's sovereignty and prevent a possible U.S. attack against that country, Venezuela's President Hugo Chavez said Sunday on a television and radio show.

"We defend the sovereignty of all nations in the world, and that is why we demand respect for Iran's sovereignty, which is in the first line of a U.S. attack," he said.

Chavez made the remarks in Hato Calleja, 630 km southeast of Caracas, in response to Russian media reports that suggested the United States would attack Iran on April 6.

He said that everyone must act to hold back the United States because "it could be Iran today, and it could be any other nation that they don't like tomorrow."

Just as the U.S. has a plan to attack Iran, it also has a plan to attack Venezuela that could be activated at any moment, he said.

He also said he hoped that "the U.S. people, Congress and other world powers can be influential in holding back the madness of U.S. imperialism."

Source: Xinhua -- Yoshie