[lbo-talk] How to explain things to (right-wing) libertarians

Matt lbo4 at beyondzero.net
Fri Mar 30 17:12:53 PDT 2007

On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 06:17:27PM +0200, Tayssir John Gabbour wrote:

> I asked a well-known science prof why right-wing libertarians are
> unusually represented in the tech world. He opined that many bright,
> upwardly mobile students didn't see why they should care about
> others.

I do not agree with this characterization. I am sure random examples from the fringe could be found online, but Doug has mentioned before that Reason Mag represents probably the most thoughtful analysis done from a libertarian perspective.

Most libertarians do care about others and can make arguments that their beliefs can generate safety, peace, and liberty for as many people as possible.

If those arguments are empirically flawed then there's no reason not to discuss it with them.

Antiwar causes alone ought to make this worthwhile, since lunatics like the Bush admin having power over the world's largest military and economy eclipse any threat from libertarians.

Matt

-- PGP RSA Key ID: 0x1F6A4471 aim: beyondzero123 PGP DH/DSS Key ID: 0xAFF35DF2 yahoo msg: beyondzero123 http://blogdayafternoon.com

No pleasure is comparable to the standing upon the vantage-ground of truth.

-Francis Bacon