[lbo-talk] How to explain things to (right-wing) libertarians

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Sat Mar 31 11:05:32 PDT 2007

Carl Remick wrote:
> Conceding that coalition-building may be a regrettable necessity, I think
> experience shows that the secret to any kind of successful bargaining is to
> *start* from an extreme, unreasonable, uncompromising position ;-)
>
> Carl

As a seasoned union bargaining team member, I can verify that Carl's strategy is the least effective way to bargain. The first, crucial step in effective negotiation is to identify mutual interests; then the involved parties can work on how those mutual interests can be achieved.

In my own bargaining experience and according to a large pile of bargaining research, this interest-based approach is far more effective than Carl's "start out with an extreme position and horsetrade from there" approach.

Miles