[lbo-talk] How to explain things to (right-wing) libertarians

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 31 10:36:25 PDT 2007

>From: Miles Jackson <cqmv at pdx.edu>
>
>Carl Remick wrote:
> > Conceding that coalition-building may be a regrettable necessity, I
>think
> > experience shows that the secret to any kind of successful bargaining is
> > *start* from an extreme, unreasonable, uncompromising position ;-)
>
>As a seasoned union bargaining team member, I can verify that Carl's
>strategy is the least effective way to bargain.

In view of how powerful and effective US unions have been for many, many years, I once again defer to superior wisdom.

>The first, crucial step
>in effective negotiation is to identify mutual interests; then the
>involved parties can work on how those mutual interests can be achieved.

Gee, if only AFL founder Samuel Gompers had known that the "win/win" POV is the key to sucess, he might have been an effective labor advocate. It's a pity he was mired in an adversarial frame of mind reflected by comments like:

* "We do want more, and when it becomes more, we shall still want more. And we shall never cease to demand more until we have received the results of our labor."

* "It is impossible for capitalists and laborers to have common interests."

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ Live Search Maps – find all the local information you need, right when you need it. http://maps.live.com/?icid=hmtag2&FORM=MGAC01