[lbo-talk] Bonobo you don't

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Tue May 1 08:54:31 PDT 2007

On 1 May, 2007, at 10:42 AM, Carrol Cox wrote:
> Jerry Monaco wrote:
>>
>> What in the world are you saying? What does this have to do with
>> the
>> question? Why are you saying this? The question was, questions
>> that you
>> have not answered:
>
> The question James is answering in the affirmative is "Can the human
> species thrive while 6 billion of them drive luxury automobiles?" You
> are contemptuous of human possibility for suggesting a negative
> answer.

Me too (contemptuous). The track record seems convincing enough, without need for projections. Also, I am interested in more than just the human species thriving.

I want to say one other thing, which should come as no surprise to those of you who have read my previous posts: when Jerry writes "we don't know XYZ" based on a reductionist framework (mirror neurons and such), he is echoing a fairly common phrase employed by scientists (e.g: Dawkins, deGrasse Tyson) and semi-scientists (Chomsky) which includes the subtle claim that the only way for us to "know" something is through these reductions. This to me is not a convincing argument -- all they are saying is that *they* do not know.

--ravi