[lbo-talk] Americans convinced on climate change; want action now

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed May 2 12:32:23 PDT 2007

<http://gqrr.com/index.php?ID=1922>

Americans Feel New Urgency On Energy Independence and Global Warming Al Quinlan and Michael Bocian Center for American Progress

Executive Summary

This survey by Greenberg Quinlan Rosner for the Center for American Progress shows a heightened demand among Americans for immediate action to tackle global warming and achieve energy independence. Americans are demanding clean, alternative energy and they want their leadership to act now to change our energy policies to put the country on the right path. The public wants major change that quickly moves the country toward energy independence. Americans believe this will be a boon for the economy, will create jobs, and that America should lead the way. This survey demonstrates that the public debate over whether global warming is here and whether it is caused by humans is settled. Americans now want immediate action.

Americans are deeply dissatisfied with current energy policies and believe America has fallen behind the rest of the world on energy. Concern about energy and global warming now rivals health care as the top domestic issue that requires immediate action. Americans believe reducing dependence on oil and coal to stop global warming is one of the most important challenges our country faces (29 percent) on par with bringing down rising health care costs (32 percent) and well ahead of other issues.

Key Findings

More than 3/4 of people believe the effects of global warming are already here.

Americans want immediate action on global warming - 60 percent believe that increasing pollution has set global warming into motion and “we must take action now or it will be too late to stop it.”

Unlike other issues before Congress and the President there is no strong partisan divide on stopping global warming.