[lbo-talk] discipline

Jim Straub rustbeltjacobin at gmail.com
Wed May 2 12:42:25 PDT 2007

Zizek is the arlen spectre of left academic gobbledygook discourse. Spectre, being without the backing of a clear ideological and organizational base (he's one of the last republicans to be only center-right, outside of the far-right repub mainstream), to hold onto his position, has always calculated that he has to stay in the news constantly. So he has presented himself as a maverick, with constant contrarian positions. Similarly, Zizek, without any organizational base, in order to stand out in the very crowded field of gobbledygook, takes iconoclastic positions one day, common sense leftist ones the next, always attaching himself to pop culture. Its a very smart strategy for a mumbo-jumboist. Even I find him at least a bit interesting.