[lbo-talk] discipline

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Thu May 3 15:47:20 PDT 2007

On 5/2/07, Shane Mage <shmage at pipeline.com> wrote:
> Dennis Claxton wrote:
>
> SM: Despite his lack of "virtue," I have enormous sympathy for Danton,
> both as person and as politician, as against Robespierre. Louis XVI's
> head was forfeit to his own crimes. But the executions of Lavoisier
> and Ch´enier were crimes against the human spirit.

JM: It is in fact hard to resist the charm of Danton as an historical character, and perhaps that is why of all of the radicals in the French Revolution Danton comes out the best in plays, novels, and movies. Buchner's "Danton's Death", Przybyszewska's "The Danton Case", leading to as Jean-Claude Carriere, Agnieszka Holland and Wadja's loose adaptation of Przybyszewska in their 1983 movie, and more recently Hilary Mantel's "A Place of Greater Safety", which focuses on the triangle of Georges-Jacques Danton, Maximilien Robespierre, and Camille Desmoulins, Danton has always been the lovable rogue. (By the way, Mantel's book is one of the few works of fiction that actually tries to understand Robespierre.) In the fiction he is a sort of combination of a Humphrey Bogart with Charles Laughton's gravitas.

But I think that historians have been seduces also. Danton was a wonderful opportunist (and I mean this in a good way) at every stage of the revolution. And the worse thing that the Committee of Public Safety did to hurt itself and the radical forces of the revolution was to kill Danton. But if Danton had lived he would have inspired the Thermidor... It was simply the logic of the situation. Perhaps Robespierre would have saved his own neck in that case....

Excuse me for the speculative "what if" history.

My main point about Danton is that he always followed the logic of the situation... unless of course he was too tired. It was his brilliance that where ever the revolution went, he ran out in front of it and articulated its logic. One never gets a feeling that Danton ever had many political principles, except the revolution itself. Danton is the lovable rogue; brilliant, forceful, articulate. I have read two biographies of him and he seems to me a recognizable character.

That is not so with Robespierre. Perhaps he had too many principles and not enough time to acknowledge that the people who carried them out were not as scrupulous as he was. But even now it is hard for me not to sympathize with him, not to think of him as the model of a revolutionary; not to see in him a man both lost in abstraction and always understanding the good and bad tendencies of mass movements and revolution. I do not agree with Jaures. It was not conceited pride, but simple self-identification with himself and what he thought was the very movement of revolution. He did not seek higher office. He did not even want his seat on the Committee of Public Safety. He had no power base outside simple moral leadership in the Jacobin club and among revolutinaries. How he became a leader of the revolution was only through his ability to articulate the necessity of the next step even when the next step was that of "terror."

I have read 5 biographies of Robespierre and I still don't get him. With his personality, today he would either be a corporate attorney or a computer nerd trying to write a little science fiction on the side. Where exactly did he come from? How exactly did he become so insightful in thinking through the implications of each step of the revolution, and, also, so paranoid that the enemies of the revolution were all in conspiracy together? And why was he so loved by so many of the Paris crowd? That Danton was loved by the crowd, is understandable. A great orator and the kind of lovable scarred lion, who has star quality. But Robespierre? Why should he be cheered so? He could hardly be heard when he spoke; he was stodgy, and watchful, so damn bourgeois. And yet there were masses of people who trusted him, who cheered hiim. Wonderfully strange, if you ask me.

Jerry