[lbo-talk] Wacko/Sherman (was Re: Brit general says . . . .)

Tayssir John Gabbour tayssir.john at googlemail.com
Sun May 6 03:08:04 PDT 2007

On 5/5/07, andie nachgeborenen <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com> wrote:
> You incorrectly personalize political issues. You alienate the very
> constituency you purport to hope to organize. When I hear talk like
> yours I appreciate Marx's rejection of moralization in political and
> economic discourse.

I often find myself in large agreement with the general viewpoint of many right-wingers. For example, no doubt personal responsibility is important.

What does a "strong defense" mean? I certainly don't support weak defense.

Working hard is a virtue to reward. (Except of course for pathological cases, like where you waste time pretending to be busy.)

But how do you achieve these things? I think personal responsibility is a human trait. It's not hard to find it in people, but with enough work you can drive it out of them.

Similar considerations hold for "strong defense" and "rewarding hard work." I don't think we achieve these things, though we make a big show of attempting to.

Where I disagree with right-wingers is that I think all these things are in our grasp. That right-wingers usually try to achieve admirable goals within a broken system.

Tayssir