[lbo-talk] Save the Planet: Kill Yourself

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon May 7 12:20:21 PDT 2007

Andy writes of his chapter of the Voluntary Human Extinction movement:

"I have to emphasize that our activities are for now strictly voluntary, and that we try to convince people of their essential worthlessness through gentle persuasion and reasoned argument."

You could always try leading by example, I suppose.

Does the 'for now' suggest that the more militant wing is straining at the leash?

Were Timothy McVeigh or Ted Kaczynki part of a breakaway group, perhaps?

What about the Hale Bopp suicides, or Rev. Jim Jones? Ultra-leftists, or just ahead of their time?

What if it was all a ploy by us global warming sceptics to decimate the opposition?

Maybe this would help, from John Cooper Clarke:

SUSPENDED SENTENCE.

Read the paper - humdrum Henley Regatta - page one Eat die - ho hum Page three - big bum Giving a lunatic a loaded gun He walks - others run Thirty dead - no fun Foreigners feature as figures of fun Do something destructive chum

Sit right down - write a letter to the Sun Say. "Bring back hangin' for everyone"

They took my advice - they brought it back National costume was all-over-black There were corpses in the avenues and cul-de-sacs Piled up neatly in six-man stacks Hanging from the traffic lights and specially made racks They'd hang you for incontinence and fiddling your tax Failure to hang yourself justified the axe

A deedely dee, a deedely dum Looks like they brought back hangin' for everyone The novelty's gone - it's hell This place is a - death cell The constant clang of the funeral bells Those who aren't hanging are hanging someone else The peoples pay - the paper sells It's plug ugly - sub-animal yells Death is unsightly - death smells Swingin' Britain - don't put me on They're gonna bring back the rope for everyone

LYRICS © JOHN COOPER CLARKE.