[lbo-talk] France looks to new Sarkozy era

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue May 8 12:39:18 PDT 2007

On May 8, 2007, at 2:37 PM, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> You are mistaken, my friend. I do not piss on those people - I just
> do not give a flying fuck about them. If they are in jail, it is
> their
> problem, not mine.

Man, that's cold. The U.S. incarcerates a bigger share of its population than any other country in the world. We criminalize things that shouldn't be criminalized. Yeah, sure, there are real scumbags in prison who belong there. But there are a whole lot of people who are there because of poverty, bad luck, mean-ass judges, shitty lawyers, mistakes, lying cops, preposterous drug laws, and a whole lot of other things that should inspire a decent person's sympathy.

Doug